MOST RECENT DINNERS
NEW YORK DINNERS
- An Armenian Dinner at Almayass
- The Naut’s Get Some Lamb Head in Astoria
- A Turkish Feast at Sip Sak
- A Potlikker Dinner Fit for a Queen
- Stinky, Stinky Tofu from Taiwan
- Thai Style Fried Grasshoppers and More
- Shhhhh… A Secret Dinner at Palo Santo
- Uncle Zhou’s Private Parts in Queens
- ‘Fresh’ Octopus at Sik Gaek
- Six Courses and a Guinea Pig at Urubamba
LOS ANGELES DINNERS
An Isaan Dinner at Krua Siri
As the great Jeffrey Steingarten once said, “People from California really are different: They eat avocado on everything.” Well, the man got half of it right. LA Gastronauts is finally here, and it’s time for the West Coast to throw down.
Tucked away in a dismal cluster of shops in Thai Town is a brilliant chef who labors in obscurity, cooking the fiery, funky foods of rural Northeastern Thailand. The English menu proffers fake Asian dishes like Orange Chicken and Spring Rolls (how do you saygringo in Thai?), but we’ve uncovered the secret, untranslated menu that holds untold Isaan delights.
Chef Sam has scoured the markets for us, searching for the delicacies he remembers from his boyhood. Dog and rice-paddy mouse will have to wait, but we have plenty of fabulous treats on the menu for our inaugural dinner – we’re initiating you with an alluring mix of bugs, organ meats and amphibious creatures. And prepare to sweat, because we’ve ordered it pet maak.
5103 Hollywood Blvd.
(at Normandie Avenue)
Los Angeles, CA 90027
Sunday, April 10th, 7:00pm